When Billy Baldwin famously helped Diana Vreeland turn her 1950s Park Avenue apartment into what she cheekily called a “garden in hell,” he borrowed many of the furnishings and ideas from the home that George Stacey had designed for Vreeland 20 years earlier. Stacey’s list of clients included every society name from Babe Paley to Grace Kelly, yet while Baldwin would go on to be immortalized as the “dean” of 20th- century American decorating, Stacey, who possessed neither Baldwin’s outgoing personality nor his legacy-preserving biographies, faded into obscurity. The release of Maureen Footer’s George Stacey and the Creation of American Chic (Rizzoli), the first book devoted to Stacey and his undisputed influence, should help remedy that. Continue reading
about meI am a freelance writer, editor, and curator living in New York City, and the co-founder of Sight Unseen, an online magazine about creative inspiration and process. I spent four years as senior editor at I.D. magazine, where I traveled the world scouting the best furniture, products, and emerging design talent. I am currently the contributing design editor at Details, author of the Limited column in Surface magazine, and a contributor to the New York Times's T Style magazines, among others. Here you'll find a selection of my work, filed under the categories above. Click here to contact me.
- KATY PERRY WEARING SIGHT UNSEEN X @printalloverme X @camille_walala IN HER NEW VIDEO. DYING! mtv.com/news/1884962/k… http://t.co/ofPpVBIMMl 1 day ago
- RT @AIGAdesign: Loving these graphic prints by @suzantonelli via @Sight_Unseen ow.ly/zcef5 ow.ly/i/6f0ar 2 weeks ago
- RT @NGVMelbourne: This week's #FF is courtesy of Publications Assistant @ThisIsNadiah: @AssemblePapers @DesignObserver @NewMuseum @Nowness … 2 weeks ago
- Cactus-inspired ceramics, the new blue hue + the coolest $300 rock you’ve ever seen. sightunseen.com/2014/07/week-o… http://t.co/RahuI4ipmT 2 weeks ago
- RT @awalkerinLA: @sight_unseen I included a mention of your Offsite show in this story on Memphis gizmodo.com/why-a-once-hat… 3 weeks ago