When Billy Baldwin famously helped Diana Vreeland turn her 1950s Park Avenue apartment into what she cheekily called a “garden in hell,” he borrowed many of the furnishings and ideas from the home that George Stacey had designed for Vreeland 20 years earlier. Stacey’s list of clients included every society name from Babe Paley to Grace Kelly, yet while Baldwin would go on to be immortalized as the “dean” of 20th- century American decorating, Stacey, who possessed neither Baldwin’s outgoing personality nor his legacy-preserving biographies, faded into obscurity. The release of Maureen Footer’s George Stacey and the Creation of American Chic (Rizzoli), the first book devoted to Stacey and his undisputed influence, should help remedy that. Continue reading
about meI am a freelance writer, editor, and curator living in New York City, and the co-founder of Sight Unseen, an online magazine about creative inspiration and process. I spent four years as senior editor at I.D. magazine, where I traveled the world scouting the best furniture, products, and emerging design talent. I am currently the contributing design editor at Details, author of the Limited column in Surface magazine, and a contributor to the New York Times's T Style magazines, among others. Here you'll find a selection of my work, filed under the categories above. Click here to contact me.
- Steven Haulenbeek made these lovely bronze vessels in an ice trough outside his Chicago studio window. Thanks winter! sightunseen.com/2014/09/steven… 2 days ago
- Sneak a peek at Jill’s beach house, which mixes hi/lo like a pro, then share your own @ikeausa essentials! #First59 sightunseen.com/2014/09/the-fi… 3 days ago
- RT @CamronPR: AN IN #NYC MUST SEE: @Sight_Unseen's fall pop-up shop at @spaceninety8 in #Williamsburg bit.ly/1ASoUBa http://t.co/TG… 4 days ago
- Currently at Le Bernardin about to taste a $25,000 bottle of Scotch. #BLESSED @TheGlenlivet 4 days ago
- Monica was profiled on @daraartisans, a new site for global handmade goods. See her fave hotel, roadtrip album, etc: journal.daraartisans.com/tastemaker-mon… 5 days ago