While anyone would be grateful to receive Design Miami’s annual Designer of the Year Award and join the ranks of recipients like Konstantin Grcic, Marc Newson, and Zaha Hadid, for David Adjaye the honor also represents a particularly uncanny moment of professional synergy. Having spent the better part of his career designing in and around the art world—traversing the same borders that Design Miami purports to blur—the Tanzania-born, London-based architect is now gearing up to produce his own series of limited-edition furniture. Adjaye has never been one to limit himself to a single creative role, whether it’s masterminding a 10-year documentary photo-research project on urban Africa’s built landscape—released this month as a book, African Metropolitan Architecture (Rizzoli)—or designing the Smithsonian’s National Museum of African American History and Culture in Washington, D.C., scheduled for completion in 2015. He calls his practice “holistic.” A more apt description may be superhuman. Continue reading
about meI am a freelance writer, editor, and curator living in New York City, and the co-founder of Sight Unseen, an online magazine that uncovers what’s new and next in design and the visual arts. I spent four years as senior editor at I.D. magazine, and I am currently a contributing editor for T magazine in the New York Times, as well as a design market editor for Bon Appetit. Here you'll find a selection of my work, filed under the categories above. Click here to contact me.
- The New Dutch Talent Whose Colorful Scale Models Caught Our Eye sightunseen.com/2019/12/fleur-… https://t.co/R8YeDrykAw 5 days ago
- A design show at Le Corbusier’s convent, a new resource for environmentally conscious designers and more.… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 6 days ago
- This Cape Town Designer Makes Velvet Couches and Stone Tables Inspired By the Moon sightunseen.com/2019/11/murrmu… https://t.co/u0io36HSwJ 6 days ago
- One of the Best Galleries in Mexico City is Inside a Modernist Apartment sightunseen.com/2019/11/studio… https://t.co/6UuikpHemF 6 days ago
- Part shop, part gallery, part meeting place for the international design set, Chic By Accident is a must-visit dest… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 2 weeks ago