As cultural movements go, postmodernism enjoys a fairly dubious distinction: Despite its pivotal role in defining the playfully garish aesthetic of the late Seventies and Eighties, it remains a despised and convoluted term, seemingly slapped on any creative work that either rejected convention and commercialism or flagrantly embraced them. But if you’re among those who never quite understood what, say, Philip Johnson’s AT&T building has to do with Jean-Paul Goude’s photos of Grace Jones (left), or Peter Saville’s album art for New Order—all considered postmodernist landmarks—London’s Victoria and Albert Museum may clarify matters with the September 24 opening of “Postmodernism: Style and Subversion 1970–1990,” a sweeping survey that pays particular attention to the genre’s roots in design and architecture. Continue reading
about meI am a freelance writer, editor, and curator living in New York City, and the co-founder of Sight Unseen, an online magazine that uncovers what’s new and next in design and the visual arts. I spent four years as senior editor at I.D. magazine, and I am currently a contributing editor for T magazine in the New York Times, as well as a design market editor for Bon Appetit. Here you'll find a selection of my work, filed under the categories above. Click here to contact me.
- A green velvet sunken pit in the middle of a field of flowers is THE most relaxing image we’ve ever seen, the visua… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 4 hours ago
- The new checkerboard transcends '80s interiors, ska bands, and Vans — and it's about to be everywhere… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 22 hours ago
- A round-up of design initiatives showcasing resilience through creativity! wallpaper.com/design/design-… https://t.co/uqv57HoyNA 5 days ago
- "Tedious tasks are my love language," says Eny Lee Parker, who designed a tiny, perfect room in oven-bake clay duri… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 week ago
- Every room in this creative director's Sao Paulo home is a different color domino.com/content/michel… https://t.co/HvR7vN0EeL 1 week ago